LANAP® Laser Periodontal Procedures
Over 50% of American adults have gum disease – an infection below the gum line. Gum disease is linked to several health problems – from heart disease, stroke, diabetes and pre-term babies – but only a small percentage of these adults get the treatment they need. Traditional gum disease treatment options involve cutting the gum tissue or extracting the teeth.
Utilizing the body’s own natural ability to “heal itself,” Dr. Turner utilizes the PerioLase™ for the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP® ). The LANAP® protocol is a patented periodontal treatment, cleared by the FDA in 2004. The procedure can only be done with the PerioLase® MVP-7; this laser operates at a specific wavelength that attacks the bacteria that contributes to gum disease while leaving healthy tissue intact. Post-surgical recession and tooth sensitivity, which can be significant following traditional gum surgery, are also greatly reduced.
The laser therapy works by targeting only diseased gum tissue, which it discerns by the color. Diseased gums are darker than healthy gums. The laser is then used to agitate the healthy tissue, encouraging it to reattach to the tooth. Because of the regrowth of this tissue, there is also a much lower chance of gum disease returning than with traditional surgery.
LANAP® Treatment Process
- Perio probe indicates any excessive pocket depth
- Laser radiation vaporizes bacteria, diseased tissue, pathologic proteins, and alerts the practitioner to the presence of tartar
- Ultrasonic scaler and special hand instruments are used to remove deposits
- Bone is modified at the time of surgery
- Laser is used to form a gel-clot containing stem cells from bone and the ligament that surrounds the tooth
- The bite is adjusted
- New attachment is regenerated
Benefits of LANAP®
- Faster healing – LANAP® is minimally invasive and allows the body to recover and heal more quickly.
- Less discomfort – Patients report less discomfort during and after surgery.
- Minimal recovery time – Most patients can immediately return to their daily routine.
- Little to no gum recession – Because the procedure doesn’t require cutting the gums, there is less risk of recession and your beautiful smile is maintained.
- Reduction in gum inflammation and bleeding – The PerioLase® MVP-7™ targets inflammatory bacteria without injuring healthy tissue.
- Saves teeth – Patients can keep their natural teeth sometimes even when the teeth have been deemed ‘hopeless’ with traditional treatments. Keeping your natural teeth has been linked to a longer lifespan!
- Safe for patients with health concerns – LANAP® protocol is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin.
Because of the gentle nature of the procedure, patients typically see immediate results with less bleeding when brushing and less bad breath. Of course, your gums need time to recover and heal, but after LANAP® treatment, you can drive your car, go back to work, or do anything else you like.